Recipe: Cider-glazed Sweet Potatoes and Pears from Charlie Palmer
From the “Remington Camp Cooking” cookbook
- Prep Time20 min
- Cook Time1 hr 15 min
- Total Time1 hr 35 min
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1 tablespoon apple-cider vinegar
- 2 pods star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, split lengthwise and cut into 3-inch chunks
- 2 firm pears, halved and cored
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
In a saucepan over high heat, add the cider, vinegar, star anise, cinnamon stick and chopped ginger. Cook until reduced by half, about 15 minutes. While the glaze is reducing, arrange the sweet potatoes and pears in a roasting pan. Remove the reduced glaze from the heat and whisk in the butter. Pour the glaze over the sweet potatoes and pears, and season with salt and black pepper.
Roast in the preheated oven until the sweet potatoes are tender, basting occasionally with the glaze, about 60 minutes.